• Population – 28,395,716
• Percentage of Evangelicals – N/A
• Total Number of People Groups – 55
• Number of Unreached People Groups – 55
• Language Spoken – Pashto (used by 50% of population), Dari (Afghan Persian, 35%)
• Major Religion – Muslim (97.89%)
• Human Development Rank – N/A
• Persecution Index – 4
In 1747, Afghanistan was founded by the unification of Pashtun tribes. Afghanistan lies in the heart of Central Asia along one of the routes of the historic “Silk Road”. Since the 1970′s, Afghanistan has experienced many conflicts both from within and from the outside. The most recent conflict being the toppling of the Taliban by US, Allied, and anti-Taliban Northern Alliance after September 11, 2001. Even though the Islamic extremism that was instituted by the Taliban has mostly been removed, anyone who acknowledge faith in Christ experiences intense persecution, including death. Islam has been the dominant religion since the 9th century and has strong times to tribal customs and culture. These barriers make it difficult for the gospel to spread freely.
• Pray for the Lord to grant peace to this war-torn land.
• Ask God to help and protect those translating scripture.
• Many people have to listen to Christian radio in secret. Pray that they would understand what they are hearing and come to know Jesus.